Thursday, September 05, 2013

Isla-isms, 5 years old

Isla's computer, outside

me: isla, where did you come from?
isla: i came from you!
me: and daddy.
isla: yes, because daddy gave me my name, and you made me born!


isla: mama, i know how they make ketchup.  they take a bunch of tomatoes, and then they add a big bucket of salt, and then they smush it all together!

isla: what's that stinky smell?
kate: my breath. I have morning breath sometimes isla.
isla: it's really stinky.
kate: you have bad breath too.
isla: yours is really bad. is that because you're bigger?
kate: no, it's because when you get up early, it's not as stinky.

isla: how did the first person get born to make other people get born?

isla: that's one thing I don't like about out world. you always have to rest for soooooooo long every night.

isla: why do some people have innie belly buttons and some people have outies?  what do you have?  (peeks) why is yours sort of an innie and sort of an outie?  

isla: i know daddy used that really big wood for the floor in the attic [plywood] but i have never seen a tree that wide, so where did it come from?

isla: if you get seeds from vegetables, then how did people get the first seed if there were no vegetables yet?

isla: i love doing puzzles.  it's my favorite thing in the world.  well, not my favorite thing in the world... but i really love puzzles.

(after rushing to get noah to the bus in the morning.)
me: let's go home and relax.
isla (grumpy): no, i don't want to relax.
me: why not?
isla: i don't know what relax means.  don't tell me!

isla: mama, my fabric is paper and i sew with tape.

isla: mama, i was assuming i could zip my coat but since i'm holding an earring i'm gonna need a little help.

isla: in her room, playing the ukulele and singing, "christ the lord is risen today, alleluia!"

isla: (from the back of the van) mama? it's me, isla, talking!

isla: (regarding the stations of the cross images) the saddest one is when jesus fell with the cross in his hand.  but i like to look at that one.

isla: we love target, don't we, mama?

isla: these people are called the plumbers because they're wearing purple pants.

 like plums!  (in the book "how a house is built.")

isla: mama, this one has a really sad ending because they get really dirty.  in every book of them they get really dirty.  (re: "flicka, ricka and dicka" books.)

isla: this shirt is all nosy! (meaning, runny nose wipey.)

isla: i don't like it when people confuse me!

isla: mama, i can see the whole world in my mind.

Isla's computer, inside

1 comment:

Grandma Bev said...

I can add two Isla-isms:
Looking at our wedding photo (taken in 1973): "Grandma, that's YOU! And you weren't so fat then!"
In the dressing room at Christopher and Banks, as I was trying on a blouse: "Grandma, why do you wear those nipple covers?"
Too cute!
Grandma Bev