Monday, March 18, 2013

a festive st. patrick's day (week)

we appreciate any reason for celebration around here.  and while we try to focus on the christian roots of saints days, it's also fun to embrace some of the random modernizations in celebrations of saints days that have evolved along with the sacred.  so we talk about how st. patrick used the shamrock to illustrate the concept of the trinity, but we also stick lots of sparkly foam shamrocks to anything we can, just because it's fun.

isla and klara showing off their green bling

isla stamped this tshirt with various shades of green fabric paint on shamrock stamps and wore it all week




 

on saturday night we went to boundary bay to see the irish dancers.  (you can see a bit on the video above.)  we've gone for a few years in a row now, and it's always worth the crazy crowds.  isla loved it!  she watched in amazement as the girls kicked and stomped and their curly wigs bounced.  she says next year she wants to learn irish dance instead of ballet.  we'll see!




my red-headed wee bit of irish boy

we had a great corned beef and cabbage supper with the schwarzes.  the hempler's corned beef was amazing!  and carrie made a great bread pudding with an irish whisky cream sauce.
noah's schoolwork

i stayed home from church on sunday with ezra while he napped, so i missed the st. patrick hymn, "i bind unto myself today."  it's such a strange but captivating hymn!  i leave you with it here in its strange and lovely entirety, just to round out this week of festivities:

I bind unto myself today
the strong Name of the Trinity,
by invocation of the same,
the Three in One, and One in Three.I bind this day to me for ever,
by power of faith, Christ's Incarnation;
his baptism in Jordan river;
his death on cross for my salvation;
his bursting from the spicèd tomb;
his riding up the heavenly way;
his coming at the day of doom:
I bind unto myself today.

I bind unto myself the power
of the great love of cherubim;
the sweet "Well done" in judgment hour;
the service of the seraphim;
confessors' faith, apostles' word,
the patriarchs' prayers, the prophets' scrolls;
all good deeds done unto the Lord,
and purity of virgin souls.

I bind unto myself today
the virtues of the starlit heaven
the glorious sun's life-giving ray,
the whiteness of the moon at even,
the flashing of the lightning free,
the whirling wind's tempestuous shocks,
the stable earth, the deep salt sea,
around the old eternal rocks.

I bind unto myself today
the power of God to hold and lead,
his eye to watch, his might to stay,
his ear to hearken, to my need;
the wisdom of my God to teach,
his hand to guide, his shield to ward;
the word of God to give me speech,
his heavenly host to be my guard.
Christ be with me,
Christ within me,
Christ behind me,
Christ before me,
Christ beside me,
Christ to win me,
Christ to comfort
and restore me.
Christ beneath me,
Christ above me,
Christ in quiet,
Christ in danger,
Christ in hearts of
all that love me,
Christ in mouth of
friend and stranger.
I bind unto myself today
the strong Name of the Trinity,
by invocation of the same,
the Three in One, and One in Three.
Of whom all nature hath creation,
eternal Father, Spirit, Word:
praise to the Lord of my salvation,
salvation is of Christ the Lord.

No comments: