Wednesday, February 25, 2009

epiphanies

today the season of epiphany ends and lent begins. the feast of epiphany celebrates the revelation of god becoming incarnate through the baby jesus, and this fact being made known to the world. but we also think of epiphanies as those lightbulb ideas when we realize something that maybe we should have known all along. i've been thinking about what those lightbulbs are for me, and how to take those epiphanies with me through this year's lenten journey.

epiphany #1: i love my family. why don't i always act like i do? why am i often impatient with my children or critical of my husband? why do i want them to be other than they are? this lent i want my love for them to be clear to them every day, and to greatly overshadow my frustrations.

epiphany #2: i have so so much. so much stuff. so much money. so much food. so many people who love and support me. why do i always want more? why do i read catalogs? browse craigslist? compare myself and my life to others? this lent i want to minimize the input that makes me feel lustful, and minimize my role in a consumerist society. i want to buy less and want less. i want to share. i want to surround myself with words, images and people who affirm my real beliefs--that i have an abundance.

epiphany #3: blogs aren't always what they seem. i love having this blog as a medium to process and chronicle our lives, and as a way to share our little world with you, our dear friends and family. but it's also a strange thing to write honestly and with humility for a sort-of faceless readership. it's easy for me to share the best parts of my family, of my words and images. but how does that make you feel? i know that we all have this general understanding of how blogs work, that they are just a window and not the whole story, that it's okay to share beauty and inspiration, to toot our own horns a bit... but still, how does that make you feel?

i'm realizing that i often come away from the computer feeling pretty down, after i've spent some time scanning blogs belonging to people whose lives seem so much better than mine. in these blogs the women are supermamas, nurturing to their many children, creating gorgeous art and craft and food, living in lovely, well-organized, clean homes, reading challenging literature... and while this may not be the whole story, it doesn't really matter. because i come away feeling inadequate, jealous, frustrated, lustful. i do not come away feeling energized and inspired. likely this is more a critique of me than of the blogosphere in general--which means that i have some important work to do within myself in dealing with those bad feelings and nurturing some positive ones. which i don't think i can do very well with a computer on my lap. which is a roundabout way of saying that for this epiphany, my resolution is to keep my computer in a hard-to-reach place, and use it only minimally. i think our whole family will benefit from this.

epiphany #4: i am happy when i am creative. i feel frustrated when i don't have the time or space to be so. this lent i want to begin working on some projects i've thought about for a while, including posting some things on etsy, putting together another zine, documenting my babies in their journals and baby books, making my yard pretty, writing lots of letters and breaking in my new sewing machine. for a long time i've felt like i can't begin being creative until my space is perfectly organized, but if i wait for that, i'll never do anything!

epiphany #5: meditation. i'm not good at extended prayer or meditation. my mind wanders so easily. but i appreciate having a short phrase or prayer to repeat when i find myself with a few minutes of quiet--falling asleep at night, nursing isla, drinking coffee. so i was very excited to receive a postcard this week from my friend dale, who left me with these wise words:

fear not! pray always!

an invitation to a holy lent.

3 comments:

Sarah said...

Jess, thanks so much for your honesty! Reading this, I feel encouraged and invited to a holy lent. I think there probably is a lot to criticize about the personas we create for ourselves online, but I also think sometimes this is an easy target. I really enjoy reading blogs of friends and witnessing the beautiful little everyday moments of life they choose to share. I don’t expect that to be the whole picture. I think it’s generous to share your life in this way. That said, I too am cutting back on internet time this lent as I spend way too much time online doing “research” and “getting inspired” when I could be praying, spending time with my family, taking a walk, sewing, reading, etc. The main point of this long comment is just to encourage you to keep blogging because I really enjoy reading it even if it is a limited way of being part of your life! Love to you and your family.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing your epiphanies, and your lenten hopes. I too am trying to find ways to reach out to others and myself via methods that don't involve a computer. Love from our {imperfect and frequently chaotic} home to yours!

Ruby's People said...

Jessica, I too would like to encourage you to keep blogging. Though there are pros and cons to blogs, they do allow us to keep in touch in a very unique way. Time and time again, I have been impressed by your openness and honesty about your life. It is fun getting a little snapshot into your world. Thanks for sharing your thoughts and experiences with your blog audience. Though I can't speak for anyone else, I personally appreciate what you choose to share. And even as distance separates our worlds, your blog allows me to feel a bit closer and to be more aware and empathetic to the common struggles that we as woman share. Thanks for that gift!